So…. I am just about 18 weeks into my pregnancy at this point, and I wanted to share some updates about what my first trimester was like, and how I am feeling now.
First of all, I have to say – I have been pretty damn lucky. Other than being completely exhausted, and wanting to sleep about 12 hours per night, I have had maybe 3 days of legit “morning sickness” (still think its a stupid name, because it’s more like whenever sickness.) and a few headaches – but so far, it has not been really bad at all.
Once hubby and I found out we were pregnant, we were wicked excited, but, I was also terrified. The idea of becoming a hormonal rage monster, gaining more weight than I ever have, and just the whole growing a human idea was all I could think about, and I won’t lie, it scared the ever living sh*t out of me.
It was also kind of tough hiding it in the beginning – and as a lot of our close friends know – we did a pretty crappy job at it. A bunch of our friends bagged us pretty early on. I mean it’s pretty obvious when you are at a good friends rehearsal dinner, and the waitress serves you loudly a seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice; or when you refuse to order any of your own drinks at the wedding. Oops.
Now that I am a little further along, I do feel like the energy is starting to come back (as everyone says it does) and I feel as though I am a little more myself, and not some creepy alien host.
I have been working out the entire pregnancy. As a trainer, I know how important it is not just for me, but also for baby – and I have modified appropriately.
I haven’t been CrossFitting in a gym, as I am currently “homeless” but I plan to find a new home after Baby B arrives – hopefully some time in June. I have been doing some different programming for me, which has been a good change. I wasn’t feeling as though I was getting the results I wanted from CrossFit alone where I was at before.
I have done 3 running races since being Pregnant, and have just taken my time in each of them – with no expectations. On November 31st, I also signed up for an”IronMan Challenge,” which is exactly 1 month’s time – to complete the total distances of a Full Iron Man Triathlon. Which in total is:
-2.4 Miles Swimming
-112 Miles Biking
-26.2 Miles Running
( As of 12/21 I am at 1.8 miles swimming, 23 miles running, and 86 miles biked!)
It has been a great challenge, and something totally different for me. Maybe someday I will take it on for real.. (No promises Dad; I know you have done a bunch of them!)
Anyway, my week in workouts has typically has included:
- Yoga – At Least Twice A Week For 30-45 Minutes. (But I am missing my Bikram Yoga (Hot Yoga) big time!)
- Running/Hiking – About 2x per week 45-60 minutes. I run exclusively trails, and have been walking all “big hills” or interval running (3-4 minutes on/1 minute off – to manage my heart rate)
- Cycling– 2-3x per week if I am not running, I have a trainer at home, which I just set up, and am loving.
- Swimming – Once per week. I forgot how much I love it, but my stamina isn’t as great as it was when we had our family lake house in NH.
- Weight Training– Whether I am using Dumbbells, Kettlebells, Barbells – Doesn’t matter, I am incorporating these 3 days a week, and mixing up light to moderate weights on all my lifting. No 1RM for a while, its more about maintaining my fitness.
- I mix these up as much as possible, so not to get bored, rest when I need it – and also include some core exercises each work out – lots of variations of planks have been a favorite.
Working out while pregnant was not nearly as daunting as I expected it to be. A lot of my friends struggled to get into a routine or regimen of sorts, or found that their current programs just did not work for them while pregnant. I am looking forward to the challenge of getting my “pre-baby” body back – but for now, I will maintain and see where it takes me. I will probably update again -maybe towards the end of the second trimester.
What do you want to hear more on? Specific workouts? Future Goals? Like/Comment/Share for more!