I decided to try out the Nature Box after watching several youtuber’s reviews of the supposedly very healthy snack box. Now I currently am not following a strict regimented diet, I am more following an 85/15 Paleo Plan.
Being that I am pregnant, and wish to gain a healthy amount of weight – I wanted to make sure I eat a diverse diet, but focus on making sure a majority of it is healthy – and not simply caving and “eating for two,” as that really is not the way to go.
During pregnancy, depending on your activity level- most doctors advise healthy women to gain between 25-35 pounds throughout the duration of your pregnancy. This means adding somewhere between an additional 250-550 calories per day.
Creating healthy meals has never really been an issue, and I can happily say I had very little morning sickness , and was able for the most part to maintain a good workout routine ( See my first pregnancy update here) . However – snacking can be a whole different animal.
A lot of time I gravitate towards simple snacks – such as an apple and almond butter, or my favorite Tendercrop Beef Jerky but I figured – now would be an awesome time to check out something fun but still relatively healthy.
The Nature Box is a monthly (also available in weekly or bi-weekly) subscription service which provides (3 or) 5 Full Size Snacks which you pick from their “pantry.” There are over 100 choices, all GMO free, and fairly high quality ingredients. I don’t believe they are organic, as there are no certification stamps, but I was satisfied with knowing they were from GMO free sources for now.
Right now you can get your first subscription box 50% off here!
For my first box I chose 5 snacks, and actually got a bonus snack included for free… I am going to rank these snacks on a scale of 0-5. 0 being I would never eat it again, and 5 being the only thing I want to eat for the rest of my life! The snacks I chose to try out first are….
- Garlic and Parmesan Pop-Pops – These were quite tasty. A little garlic, cheese and some half popped popcorn kernels. Yum. Quite addicting, and filling. 4/5
- Dark Cocoa Nom Noms – I was only disappointed there weren’t more in the bag. These were so tasty. They are on the smaller side, so I ended up eating 2 at once, even though the serving size is 1 nom nom (?). They taste like an Oatmeal Cookie and Brownie made a delicious baby. If you love chocolate- I highly recommend these 4.5/5
- Asiago Cheddar Cheese Crisps – These were a little bit lack luster to me. While I love me a little spice – I just felt underwhelmed. They were crunchy- and you did get a little hint of Asiago and cayenne, I think I was expecting more. 3/5
- Big Island Pineapple Rings – Yum. Pineapple is probably my favorite food in the world. These were yummy and fresh. The only things that would make them better is if they were in a bigger bag- or were crunchy like the Danielle’s Pineapple Chips. 4.5/5
- Blueberry Coated Almonds – This was my bonus snack. I didn’t chose it but I would eat them again. I liked the slight sweetness but, I think I prefer almonds with more savory flavorings. 3.5/5
- Honey Crunch Crisps – I was not a huge fan of these. Not because they weren’t good, but because I was really hoping they would have a good honey flavor, and I couldn’t taste it at all. I did like how crunchy they were. 2.5/5.
Overall I liked the Nature Box for my first try. Hubby really liked all of the snacks too, which is always a bonus (although he is far from a picky eater.) I really like that you get to curate your pantry and chose your snacks, and I felt as though it was a good price for what you received. If I had to rank the box as a whole – I would probably give it a 4/5. I am going to try at least one more month, and then decide if I will continue to subscribe!
Have you tried any subscription snack boxes?