Fact – I live for the outdoors.
The weather here in New England is known for being unpredictable, which is both a blessing and a curse. To me, there is nothing worse than a day stuck inside. I need fresh air, sunshine, the mountains and the water in my life. I can appreciate a rainy day for sure; the first thing I typically do when it rains is open the windows – who doesn’t love the smell of rain? A cozy day with a book or a movie on the couch can be lovely… but – it still doesn’t beat the sun.
I feel like I am lucky to live in an area of the country where I get to appreciate all the seasons. El Nino be damned this year – we hardly got any snow (although I wouldn’t be able to appreciate the winter sports this year anyway thanks to a little addition to the family :)…) So when summer time comes around, I like to spend as much time as possible, outside- and near/by the water. I am also fortunate enough to live not only next to a Lake, but also a 5 minute drive from some of the most beautiful beaches in the country.
Last year, I started NSAF as a way to share my love for Fitness & Paddleboarding with my friends, family and community. It was a labor of love, and a work in progress, but it is something I truly love and am very passionate about. Paddleboarding to me, was like love at first sight… A sport I fell immediately in love with my first try… Which strangely enough was on the lake where I now live, and run my business from.
Because I do spend so much of my time outdoors, I really am trying to be more conscientious of taking care of my skin. I have tried many different sunscreens, but it seems as though there is conflicting information on the value of these products… Anyone remember Giselle Bundchens infamous rant? I have to say, I partially agree with her. So many of these products, meant to protect us contain disgusting chemicals. Last year alone, I think I tried at least 5 different brands – including some brand names which I thought were considered to be safe. I even went so far as to DIY some of my own recipes (which I may share here at some point)- some of which were great, but not quite enough for when you are spending HOURS on the water.
Problem: I hadn’t had luck finding a natural sunscreen which could adequately provide protection from the sun. I did some research and discovered COOLA Suncare. COOLA is an unbelievable brand – their products are…
- Over 70% organic
- Made in a Solar Powered Facility in the United States
- Source ingredients from local sustainable vendors (think farm to table)
- Made with phyto-protectors such as red algae, raspberry seed oil, and plankton to boost the natural SPF.
- Packaged with 30% less plastic
- Cruelty Free
COOLA was gracious enough to send me some of their products to review. While I haven’t been able to FULLY put them to the test (thank you New England Seasons & April showers!), I wanted to at the very least give my first impressions – and a follow up later on. I was sent the following four products to try out!
ECO-LUX 8OZ BODY SPF 30 CITRUS MIMOSA SUNSCREEN SPRAY. -Spritz your sunscreen on the go with this clear, continuous spray in an all natural Citrus Mimosa scent. Offering broad spectrum SPF 30 protection, this deluxe, eco-sized Farm to Face® sourced spray will nourish and hydrate skin with 70%+ certified organic ingredients like Cucumber, Algae and Strawberry Extracts; and Red Raspberry Seed Oil (a natural sunscreen booster rich in Omega-3 and 6).
Not only does this product smell amazing, but it WORKS. We were lucky enough to have some great weather last week in Mass – and I spent a LOT of time outside. I put a generous coat on, and voila!- long lasting, good-smelling protection, which was very easy to apply. Many times I feel as though spray-suncreen’s don’t quite do the job when it comes to getting even-coverage on the skin, but the sprayer on this can is great. This product in particular, I will test again on the water, and a more in depth review once we have some 80+ degree days, and I can take full advantage of the lake (ie; not super-pregnant) or beach.
2. LIPLUX SPF 30 ORIGINAL FORMULA – Don’t forget your lips! This all-in-one lip treatment moisturizes and protects with broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 protection. Our vitamin and antioxidant enriched formula soothes and nourishes, while our unique blend of fruit butters like Raspberry and Avocado hydrate the delicate skin of the lips. This product is unscented, but you’ll still want to say MUAH! 70%+ certified organic ingredients, made with natural food grade ingredients.
Wow. Do I love this lip balm. It is as it name states – very “lux” – as it is luxuriously moisturizing and doesn’t disappear after 2 minutes of wear like many other lip balms I have used in the past. It smells delicious and tastes great. I have the original formula versus the peppermint, and I am not sure what the actual scent is, but it is very neutral and pleasant.
3. FACE SPF 30 UNSCENTED MATTE TINT -Give your skin an immediate line-smoothing matte finish and fight signs of aging caused by the sun with this antioxidant-infused Farm to Face® sourced broad spectrum SPF 30 mineral sunscreen. This unscented and lightly tinted formula is made with natural Rose Hip Oil which is rich in free radical fighting Vitamin C. Naturally calming Evening Primrose and Flax Seed Oils deliver abundant Omega-3 and Gamma-Linolenic Acid to improve elasticity and help skin retain moisture. Natural Shea Butter smoothes and hydrates while the phyto-protector Plankton Extract rejuvenates skin. Formulated for all skin types and tones, including those that are especially sensitive or oily.
So far this is the only product I am undecided on. I have used it quite a few times, and it does at it claims – provide a matifying tint to the skin. However – I guess I am a little confused on how to use it. It doesn’t have really enough coverage to be a foundation, or even a bb -cream – and it feels a little strange under makeup because it does leave your skin feeling somewhat strange. I have been using it under my normal foundation – but I could see how this would be a nice substitute for makeup in the summer time – I suppose I will have to wait for a hot day to truly test out its potential.
4. BABY SPF 50 UNSCENTED MOISTURIZER -Give your little one a 100% natural environmental shield that safeguards them from the sun’s harmful rays. Designed especially for a baby’s delicate skin, this mineral SPF 50 with broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection contains over 70%+ certified organic ingredients and absolutely zero chemicals or preservatives. Organic Sunflower and Sesame Seed Oils naturally boost SPF protection while Organic Shea and Cocoa Butter, blended with Organic Avocado and Coconut Oils, keep your baby as soft as…well, a baby’s bottom!
Well seeing as though Baby B will not be here for another 6 (OMG) weeks. I have yet to be able to try this one out. But I am extremely happy I have already found a paraben and preservative-free, all natural sunscreen for our little summer baby.
I have heard so many great things about Coola – I am very thankful to be able to review these products and test them out. There are already some new scents I am excited to try out, so once I have finished up with these, I am sure I will be ordering more of their line (hello?! guava- mango!!!) .
Have you tried any Coola products? What are your favorites?! Like and comment below!